Answer the following and post to your blog.
1. What unusual qualities and appliances does the house have?
-The house controls itself. The automated clock, cleaning mice, chef, and garage opener are all appliances that the house has.
2. What were the five spots of paint of?
-The man, the woman, the children, and the ball were the five spots of paint. They were the silhouettes of the charcoaled people against the side of the house.
3. What happened to the people?
-They were killed by the nuclear radiation.
4. What are some things the house has been protecting itself from?
-The house was protecting itself from any 'intruders'. Dogs, sparrows, and any little sound cause the house to become paranoid.
5. Why is the dog very thin and covered in sores?
-The dog had been living out in the wild, which only contained charcoal and ash. It was starving; hence, the thinness of the dog, and it had been in a radioactive environment; hence, the sores. It was returning home, but alas it was too late.
6. What happens to the dog’s remains?
-The dog's remains are put in the incinerator.
7. What can you infer the family usually does at 2:35?
-You could infer that at 2:35 the family would get together, each lunch, and socialize. The parents would drink, and the children would play cards.
8. What did the children usually do at 4:30?
-At 4:30 the children would take a nap.
9. What is the name of the family that lived in the house?
10. What are some things the house does to try to save itself?
-Close the windows, fire sprinklers, fire mice; are all things that the house has to try and save itself.
11. What was the last voice to die saying?
-The date, August 5, 2026.
12. What warning is Bradbury trying to deliver in his story?
-Humans will destroy themselves, but the environment and nature will not care or be effected.
Define the following words from the story.
a. silhouette- outline of figure
b. paranoia-fear or constant fear or something
d. incinerator-something that destroys, or cremates an object
e. capillaries-small blood suppling vessels in a human, but in the case of the story it is the baseline foundation of the house falling apart.
f. oblivious-completely unaware
g. sublime-poise, elegant, fanciful disregard* in the case of the story
h. psychopathic-crazy, psychotic, irrational