February 10, 2015
Standards assessed in this assignment:
- Student analyses the language, content, structure, meaning and significance of both familiar and previously unseen oral, written and visual texts
- Student analyses the effects of the author’s choices on an audience
Answer the following questions in complete sentences. Upload these answers to your blog on a posting titled “Owl Creek.”
1. In Section I, Bierce includes few details about the condemned man and does not reveal the reason why he is being hanged. How does this help create suspense?
-We want to figure out the ending of the story.
2. In what ways are the condemned man's perceptions of time and motion distorted as he is waiting to be hanged? Why are his distorted perceptions important?
-Time slows down, and he begins to have flashbacks.
3. What is a sentinel?
-A solider standing guard.
4. What is the significance of the man’s perception of his ticking watch?
-The ticking of the watch represents the time that is passing right before he passes.
5. In Section II, Bierce finally introduces Peyton Farquhar. Why place this information in the middle of the story, and in a flashback? How does this authorial decision contribute to suspense and our sympathies toward Farquhar?
-To reveal the truth of the beginning of the story. It helps build the suspense, and lure in the reader.
6. Why was Farquhar captured? Why did the Federal scout lie?
-Farquhar was captured because he was baited into a trap.
7. What details in Part III suggest that Farquhar's journey occurs in his mind? How is the journey connected with the plan of escape that occurs to him moments before he is hanged?
-His incredible strength, vision, and speed. It was the last thing he thought about before his death.
8. What is the ultimate fate of Peyton Farquhar? About how long did it truly take for the events of the story to unfold?
- He was hung, and it took seconds.
9. Why is the limited third-person point of view appropriate for this story? How might the story be different if Bierce had used an omniscient third-person narrator?
-Too much information would have ruined the story.10. Were you surprised by the ending? Why or why not?
-I wasn't surprised by the ending, because I not only expected some type of eery twist, but I also didn't believe he would be able to gain incredible strength, and escape his hanging.